The first settlers came to LaGrange in
1826. They were attracted by promising accounts of the agricultural
possibilities. Most of them came from Virginia, North Carolina, and South
Carolina. Land in Troup County was distributed in the 1827 Land Lottery. Troup
County has a total land area of 413.9 square miles.
Troup County, the 70th county organized by the state of Georgia on June 8,
1825, was named for George M. Troup, "The Hercules of State Rights," who served
as governor of Georgia from 1823 to 1827.
LaGrange was incorporated in 1828 and by the same act of the Georgia
Legislature was named the county seat of Troup. The name "LaGrange" was taken
from the home of General LaFayette in France. He was once the guest of Governor
George M. Troup, with whom he traveled over practically all of the state. It is
said that he was much impressed with the similarity of the land in middle
western Georgia to that of his own estate. Thus, when the question of naming
Troup County's chief town arose, the name LaGrange in honor of LaFayette met
with popular approval. LaFayette Fountain, a replica of the LaFayette statue in
LePuy, France, also salutes the Marquis de LaFayette. It stands on the
courthouse square in LaGrange.
Legend has it that the first settler in LaGrange, James H. Cameron, built his
cabin on the site where the LaGrange-Troup County Memorial Fountain now stands
on Court Square.
During the War between the States, LaGrange had the distinction of having the
only military company of women soldiers ever to be commissioned for duty on this
continent. The company was called the Nancy Harts - in honor of Georgia's
Revolutionary heroine. Union troops led, coincidentally by Colonel Oscar H.
LaGrange, marched into town on April 18, 1865. The women promptly surrendered
after they convinced Col. LaGrange not to destroy the town.
In 1936, the majestic old courthouse on the square burned and it was decided
to rebuild at the present location. None of the county's records were destroyed
during the fire and the original records are now stored at the Troup County
Archives building on Main Street in LaGrange.
LaGrange is noted for its lovely Colonial homes, chief among them being
"Bellevue," the home of Benjamin Harvey Hill, an eloquent Georgia orator, who
was arrested at his home during the Civil War.
Our town is known as the "City of Elms and Roses." Many of the streets are
still lined with elm trees and outstanding gardens feature roses. LaGrange has
truly combined the charm of the Old South with industry of today.